24 Feb What is Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Really?
For a lot of people, SEO is a mystery. They wonder how search engines choose websites to show on top while neglecting others. For one single search query, search engines crawl about a million pages and bring out the most appropriate results.
For example, have a look at this screenshot. What do you see?
For a single search term ‘what is SEO?‘, Google shows about 380 Million Search results from all over the web.
So from the above example, it is obvious to understand that SEO is not a child’s play.
We all know that the higher up a business web link appears in search results, the more likely it will result in more traffic… and more revenue for the business. Within the first few weeks of starting SEO, there is a drastic increase in relevant traffic to the website. Through this post, we attempt to demystify the SEO process.
But first, you need to find out what is SEO?
What actually is Search Engine Optimization?
You may have heard about a dozen definitions and myths about the SEO. Some of them are true but most are just myths and misconceptions. The proper definition of SEO is;
“The process and efforts to optimize, enhance, and improve the quality of your website to make it informative, attractive, useful, better than others, user-friendly, and search engine friendly by the means of high quality and well-crafted content, to rank and stand on the top in the search engines, is called SEO.”
The SEO Process:
Though, SEO is not as simple and quick as it seems. It requires passion, and continuously thrive to produce better content every day. The entire SEO process consists of 3 sections:
- On-Page Optimization
- Off-Page Optimization
- Technical SEO Optimization
On-Page Optimization: Planning and Execution
- Keyword Research – A set of industry related keywords is determined, based on which ranking is desired
- Meta Tag(s) Optimization – A meta tag is a text read by Search Engines, versus being read by users. A meta tag describes what the page is about. Meta tags need to be meticulously optimized so Search Engines can rank pages accordingly.
- Heading Tags Optimization
- URL Structures
- Images and Graphics
- UI & UX Improvements
- Content Quality and Density Optimization
- New Pages/Content Requirements – If no existing web pages of the website qualify to be ranked, with respect to certain keywords, then new page and content requirements are determined
Off-Page Optimization: Planning and Execution
- Link Building Requirements – Based on the keyword difficulty and project category, link requirements are generated. This needs to be in accordance with the most recent Google algorithm guidelines
- Link Building Execution – Important website links are posted to relevant forums, to generate quality assured backlinks
Technical SEO Optimization
It involves technical, coding, hosting and navigational type of optimizations to get a website to perform better. This include:
- Sitemap Optimization (XML/HTML) – A sitemap describes what pages a website has
- Google Search Console Integration
- Google Analytics Integration
More information on SEO can be found here.
The team at Proleadsoft are experts in SEO. If you have any questions please reach out to us. We are offering a free 30 minute consultation. Slots fill fast so book now.
Proleadsoft has helped clients achieve great results. Below is keyword based ranking data for one of our distillery clients on Google:
* In the first phase (January/February 2016) we conducted detailed on-site analysis and partnered with the tech team to implement recommendations to ensure that the website follows web/SEO guidelines (on-site fixes such as meta tag fixes, alt and heading tag fixes, Sitemap fixes, URL fixes, Robots.txt fixes and meta content fixes etc.), conducted competitor analysis, conducted keyword research, finalized a set of keywords, set up different tools (Webmaster and Analytics) and suggested keywords for on-site integration.